We’re back for Part 3 and we’re glad you’ve decided to join us.Â Just as before we’re going to give you some great Tips for maintaining your car and making sure that you keep repair costs and maintenances costs down and keep the car as long as you can, all of which will save you money in the short and long run.
A great way to do this is to keep an Auto Log.Â If you keep track of the mileage that you’re getting and you see that it suddenly starts to fall off this may be a sign that something is wrong and that you need to get it checked out.
Storing your car for long periods of time means that you need to do a few things to make sure that it runs well when you return and that nothing gets damaged while it’s not being run.
- To take care of the gas fill up the tank and use a fuel stabilizer that you can get at any car parts store.
- If it will be outside wash and wax it well to protect the finish.Â If you can purchase a car-cover that would be very helpful.
- If it’s going to be in your house’s garage or in a storage garage you should put a vapor barrier on the floor.
- Don’t use the parking brake unless absolutely necessary.
- If it’s going to be more than a few weeks jack the car up and put it on stands to reduce the wear on the wheels, tires, struts and shocks.
- Disconnect the battery to keep it from draining.
- Place a rag in the tailpipe to make sure that moisture doesn’t form.
Whenever possible park your car in the shade.Â If this isn’t possible and it’s parked in a safe area use a car cover if the sun is always blazing. If neither is possible at least use a car-shade inside to protect the dash and the gauges.Â This will also give you a bit cooler car to get into at the end of a long, hot day.
Cleaning the inside of your car is also a vital task. Dirt, sand and other stuff can be very abrasive and ruin your matts, rug and other interior car parts.Â Vacuum your car regularly, making sure to use the vacuum carefully and not scratch plastic parts, leather or other parts. The fact is, when reselling your car the interior is one of the most important, and most looked at, parts and a nice interior will get you more money.
To save even more money join us back here soon for Part 4 of our Car Care and Maintenance 8 Part series.Â See you soon!